Senior WASH Advisor – Urban
Posted: March 20, 2017
Location: Vauxhall, London, United Kingdom
Salary: £46,000 - £56,000
Position Type: Permanent
Closing Date: April 13, 2017
WaterAid – WaterAid has teams in 37 countries across the world, working with our partners to transform millions of lives every year by improving access to safe water, toilets and hygiene. And since 1981, we’ve reached 23 million people. In the last 35 years, we’ve gone from strength to strength to become one of the most respected organisations dealing solely with water, sanitation and hygiene issues.
Working within the Programme Support Unit, the Senior WASH advisor – Urban, will
- Lead on the formulation and implementation of frameworks, strategies, policies and guidelines which guide WaterAid’s interventions to support sustainable WASH services in urban and small town contexts, with a focus on reaching poor and marginalised people and groups.
- Provide thought leadership, support, mentoring and capacity development necessary to embed these standards and commitments in WaterAid’s Country programmes, maintaining regular contact with urban WASH staff across the organisation and an active community of practice.
- Direct and guide the publication of reports based on continuous analysis and adaptation of key WaterAid urban WASH experiences for learning purposes, to ensure experiences lead to scalable and sustainable interventions that are shared within WaterAid and through key external communities and networks.
- Provide thematic leadership and advice across Country programmes and UK departments for collaborative research, innovation projects and technical issues.
To be successful, you’ll need
- Substantial and direct experience of project-managing or overseeing WASH programmes and related grant designs in low-income countries, with the majority in urban specific contexts.
- Specialist expertise in the institutional, political and technical aspects of sustainable water and sanitation services in urban areas – including utility issues, the regulatory environment, urban planning and urban WASH financing – particularly in small towns, peri-urban and informal settlements.
- Substantial experience of leadership, collaboration and team-working. Experience of leading, managing and motivating a team and providing team members with meaningful feedback on their performance.
- Significant experience of project-, people-, and budget-management in an International NGO or similar, including managing people and programmes remotely to ensure targets are met.
- A proven track record of effectively facilitating learning internally and externally at the organizational level and developing capacity within an organisation in an empowering way.
- The ability to work effectively, diplomatically and professionally with a range of people, organisations and cultures and at all levels.
- A postgraduate degree or equivalent professional qualification in a subject of close relevance to urban WASH.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and fluency in English, in order to represent the organisation at a high level externally with credibility, and produce high quality documents communicating complex issues with clarity.
- Digital competence including in Microsoft office packages.
- To be able to undertake substantial international travel (minimum 8 weeks per year, and up to 25%).
- Commitment to WaterAid’s values and a working style that reflects these.
By 2030 we want everyone, everywhere to have clean water and sanitation. We need you to help us make it happen. If you bring your expertise, passion and professionalism, we’ll give you a lot back.
Working with us, you will be entitled to a wide range of employee benefits, such as an exceptional pension fund, medical cash plans, an employee assistance programme, generous annual leave provision, as well as fitness and lifestyle programmes.
This role is London-based. However, we will be open to considering the alternative of an overseas base where a WaterAid Country programme or Federation member is located, and particularly locations with good international transport links. If an overseas location is proposed, the salary offered will be competitive in relation to the location.
If London based, you must disclose your eligibility to work in the UK status. The job has been matched with Standard occupational classification code 1139 under the Codes of Practice for Skilled workers.
To apply, please go to https://jobs.wateraid.org/vacancy/senior-wash-advisor—urban-0528/547/description/
This vacancy will end one minute before midnight on the closing date specified. No recruitment agencies please.