image credits

Chartered Institution of Water and
Environmental Management (CIWEM)

106-109 Saffron Hill, London, EC1N 8QS  
Tel: 020 7831 3110 Fax: 020 7405 4967

Registration as an Engineer via CIWEM

CIWEM is licensed by the Engineering Council to award Chartered Engineer (CEng), Incorporated Engineer (IEng) and Engineering Technician (EngTech) status for suitably qualified applicants. Should you wish to register, your eligibility will be considered by the Engineering Professional Board (EPB) at the same time as your application for membership is being processed. The EPB comprises of Chartered Engineers, Incorporated Engineers and Engineering Technicians.

You may apply for external registration with the Engineering Council by satisfying the following criteria: 

  • Academic qualifications
  • A period of relevant training and experience 

Academic Requirements 

Chartered Engineer (CEng)

An Engineering Council accredited Bachelors degree with Honours in engineering or technology, plus either an appropriate Masters degree or appropriate further learning to Masters level OR an Engineering Council accredited integrated MEng degree

Incorporated Engineer (IEng)

An Engineering Council accredited Bachelors degree in engineering or technology OR a Higher National Diploma or Foundation degree in engineering or technology, plus appropriate further learning to degree level

Engineering Technician (EngTech)

A National Certificate or National Diploma in engineering or construction & the built environment OR an approved qualification in engineering or construction at Level 6 in the Scottish Qualification and Credit Framework OR the City and Guilds Higher Professional Diploma in Engineering OR a Technical Certificate as part of an approved Advanced Modern Apprenticeship Programme OR an approved Level 3 NVQ or SVQ. Qualifications in similar areas may be acceptable but would have to be assessed as equivalent by CIWEM

Many applicants wishing to register with the Engineering Council have qualifications that were not originally accredited by them. If your qualification is not fully accredited by the Engineering Council, CIWEM's Qualifications Panel can assess your academic achievements for CEng, IEng or EngTech registration, and either accepts them as they are or recommend a route to registration.

The academic assessment is recommended for the following:

  • Individuals with UK or overseas engineering qualifications which are not accredited (or recognised under international accords)
  • Individuals who have qualifications that fall short of the exemplifying qualifications
  • Individuals who have qualifications in cognate subjects, or have no relevant qualifications

If any of the categories above are relevant to you, you can apply for assessment when you apply to become a Graduate, Associate or Chartered Member of the Institution. To apply for the ICP procedure, you must be in, or applying for a grade of membership. We would advise that any potential members complete the assessment as soon as possible, in case any additional study is required.

The Engineering Council send out a regular e-mailed newsletter, the 'Register News'. It has information for registrants with news of the latest developments at the Engineering Council and beyond. If you would like to view a copy then please go to the link shown below

The URL to link to the latest issue is:


Upcoming Events


CIWEM - water reuse


Chartered Institution of Water and
Environmental Management (CIWEM)

106-109 Saffron Hill, London, EC1N 8QS  
Tel: 020 7831 3110 Fax: 020 7405 4967

Banner Photographs by: