The Chartered Institution of Water and Environmental Management is committed to encouraging diversity amongst and prohibiting discrimination across our whole organisation, and looks to promote diversity in the environmental and water industries more broadly.
We assert that a diverse organisation brings with it extensive benefits. Greater diversity enables a wider range of experience, skills and perspectives. It raises productivity, broadens ideas and makes our surrounding environments, workplaces and meetings richer and more beneficial.
- Create an environment in which individual's differences and the contributions made by all are recognised and valued.
- Ensuring all CIWEM's meetings, events and conferences promote an environment which is comfortable and encouraging for all to attend and actively participate in.
- Providing a working environment that promotes dignity and respect for all. Intimidation, bullying or harassment are not tolerated and will be dealt with severely.
- All documentation is reviewed to ensure it is not biased, unfair or exclusive.
- CIWEM membership, services and benefits are provided to all members and employees fairly and equitably.
- We will continue to review and assess our policy, practices and procedures to ensure they are fair and improved upon when needed.
Access the full text of our policy here.
Alongside our work as part of the Royal Academy of Engineering and Science Council Diversity and Inclusion progression framework steering group, we are proud to announce our 2021 initiative to develop new CIWEM networks that represent our diverse community.
We want these networks to be led by our members. In fact, one of our members recently approached CIWEM to launch CIWEM’s first LGBTQ+ network and the idea of the WEM Pride network was born.
WEM Pride is just one of many member-led diversity and inclusion networks we are hoping to launch in 2021. If you would like to launch or participate in a network representing a different community, we want to hear from you. Please contact CIWEM Diversity and Inclusion Champion, Francesca Batchelor, at firstname.lastname@example.org with your ideas.