As a Water Resource and Flood Risk Technical Specialist at HS2 you will deliver work on developing the technical quality, specifications, standards and assurance for the water resources and flood risk aspects of the HS2 programme.
As part of the Natural Environment Team, the Water Resource and Flood Risk Technical Specialist supports the work of the Water Resource and Flood Risk Team and acts as the “internal client” for the topic of Water Resources and Flood Risk. A key area of work involves the development of specifications and policy and ongoing negotiation with Non-Governmental Organisations and Governing Bodies in relation to proposals and issues. The Water Resource and Flood Risk team seeks to mitigate impacts along the route and to develop opportunities for reducing flood risk, enhancing water resources in terms of quality and quantity in order to safe guard potable water supply and water dependent habitats.
About the role:
· Work within the Water and Flood Risk Team to assist in developing and overseeing the delivery of the water resource and flood risk agenda (and related policies/plans) for HS2 in keeping with programme needs, statutory requirements and broader external requirements in order to deliver on Water Resource and Flood Risk commitments, including finalising and overviewing Corporate, Phase 1, Phase 2a and Phase 2b water resource and flood Risk proposals and plans.
· Prepare and review draft material for the HS2 programme in the lead-up to construction to ensure the HS2 programme designs in and mitigates its impact on receptors specifically with regard to water resource and flood risk.
· Deliver high quality technical support and advice to the project in order to ensure the best possible outcomes from a water resource and flood risk perspective and ensure compliance with HS2 agreed standards and legislation.
· Manage outputs and monitor allocated budgets.
· Provide information to key persons in agencies (e.g. DEFRA, Environment Agency and Natural England) as well as deal with FOI and media requests on water resource and flood risk issues to ensure HS2 plans can be implemented effectively.
· Contribute to the development and delivery of the external communication plan regarding water resource and flood risk goals and progress.
· Coach, up skill and influence colleagues from across the organisation to ensure water resource and flood risk issues are key considerations in project decision making and management processes.
· Undertaking external liaison with local authority stakeholders (notably Lead Local Flood Authorities), Environment Agency and other organisations on compliance with water resource and flood risk matters throughout the life of the project.
· Liaise closely with other disciplines, in particular drainage engineers, ecologists, contaminated land experts and geotechnical engineers.
· It is expected that you will actively promote and embed Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in all your work and support and comply with all organisational initiatives, policies and procedures on EDI.
· Knowledge of relevant policy and best practice guidance across a range of areas including flood risk assessment, surface water management and Water Framework Directive (WFD) matters;
· Knowledge of flood risk assessment and hydraulic modelling;
· Knowledge of surrounding disciplines, such as groundwater, drainage, contaminated land and ecology;
· Experience in a lead or review role in water resource and flood risk topic included within environmental impact assessment and environmental statements;
· Experience of managing environmental projects on complex schemes in relation to hydrological issues at optioneering, EIA, design and construction stages;
· Experience of developing pragmatic analysis and cost-effective mitigation strategies;
· Experience in the design and implementation of sustainable drainage systems.
· Ability to produce and present documents and reports to a variety of audiences
· Project management skills, including the ability to manage the delivery of work through effective coordination of consultants;
· Business and financial management skills.
High Speed 2 (HS2 Ltd) will be the UK’s new high-speed rail network. As well as improving capacity, the new scheme will shorten journey times between a number of Britain’s major population centres, boost the economy and create thousands of jobs.
HS2 Ltd will create a skills legacy and develop a diverse range of talent. We aim to be a leader in EDI practice by creating a safe & inclusive working environment for all our staff - living our values of Safety, Respect, Integrity and Leadership.
In practice, this means we are positive and inclusive about making adjustments, providing flexible working, encouraging our staff networks to flourish and providing personal and professional development opportunities.
HS2 Ltd endeavours to ensure everyone working for us and with us feels included, thrives and achieves their full potential.
We ask for a variety of detail in your online application, however we perform the first assessment of suitability for a role based solely on the information in your CV. Please attach an updated word version of your CV for each new application and include evidence directly related to the criteria in the job advert.
This is your opportunity to influence a great venture.
Closing date: 19 August 2019.