Milton Keynes is a rapidly expanding, vibrant and dynamic place to live, work and play. How better to contribute to that continued success than through a unique and rewarding career with Milton Keynes Council. So if you’re looking for an excellent benefits package and the chance to make a difference, make a move to Milton Keynes Council.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Flood Risk & SuDS Officer to work within the Flood and Water Management Team at Milton Keynes Council. We deliver the council’s statutory function as the Lead Local Flood Authority, working with partners to investigate and deliver innovative flood risk management projects across Milton Keynes, improve the water environment and provide technical engineering advice on surface water management for new developments and existing drainage systems.
As a Flood Risk & SuDS Officer you will play a key role influencing and ensuring the delivery of high quality SuDS schemes across Milton Keynes. This will be achieved by working closely with and providing specialist advice and support to developers, consultants, engineers and colleagues whilst also forming close partnerships with key stakeholders across Milton Keynes and the wider region encompassing the Oxford-Cambridge arc.
You will understand the requirements of providing drainage and flood risk management advice from a regulatory perspective. Experience of using databases, engineering software (e.g. Microdrainage) and GIS would be desired. You will use your initiative, seek opportunities for knowledge sharing and be able to work effectively as part of a busy team whilst managing your own workload.
All of our work involves a high level of communication and a willingness to work and negotiate with developers and key stakeholders. You must therefore be a clear communicator, able to negotiate and capable of explaining technical matters clearly and sensitively at all levels.
- To coordinate the LLFA’s role as a statutory consultee to the planning department; developing long term policy and procedures for the assessment and adoption of SuDS into the Milton Keynes landscape
- To assist in instigating and coordinating flood risk investigations, including management of external consultants, where required
- To assist with the implementation of the Council’s Local Flood Risk Management Strategy (2016), Surface Water Management Plan (2016) and associated action plans
- To maintain and develop effective partnerships with the Environment Agency, Internal Drainage Board, Anglian Water Services, Highways, the Parks Trust and neighbouring authorities
Experience, Qualifications and any Mandatory Requirements
- Educated to degree level or equivalent professional experience in Civil Engineering, Environmental Management, Geography, Hydrology or other relevant discipline
- Working towards Chartered Membership of a relevant institute
- An understanding of SuDS and the construction of drainage schemes, including the review and assessment of surface water drainage and SuDS for new development
- An understanding of policy legislation the Flood and Water Management Act (2010), Land Drainage Act (1994), Flood Risk Regulations (2009)
Milton Keynes Council Benefits
Use your skills to benefit the local community and experience a rewarding, interesting environment and attractive employment package such as:
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates
- A generous minimum holiday entitlement of 27 days per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years
- Option to buy more annual leave
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements
- Excellent in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership and Management
- Flexibility – with full time, part time and term time working options
- Fair pay and a commitment to a minimum Living Wage
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings including retail, travel and leisure discounts as well as a suite of salary sacrifice benefits.
Closing Date: 12th July 2019
Interview date: w/c 29 th July 2019
To apply, please visit the Milton Keynes Council Careers website http://bit.do/milton-keynes-flood-risk-officer and fill in the application form.
At Milton Keynes Council we take great pride in our Community and we hope that you can help us grow and share our vision.