The Development & Flood Risk team (DFR) provide expert technical opinion, specialist advice and assessment of the consequences of development in flood risk areas and in the regulation flood risk activities. We are a key advisor to Local Planning Authorities in influencing the design and location of sustainable development. We issue Flood Risk Activity Permits to protect the environment and prevent an increase in flood risk.
On a daily basis you will provide timely, accurate and consistent expert flood risk advice responding to planning application consultations, determining Flood Risk Activity Permits and working with a range of internal and external customers. You will primarily be responsible for checking compliance of Flood Consequence Assessments and Strategic Flood Consequence Assessments with relevant Welsh Government policy such as TAN15. You will also be responsible for controlling works within and adjacent to Main Rivers & coastal defences through the determination of Flood Risk Activity Permits (Environmental Permitting Regulations, England & Wales 2016). You will be working in a team of similar experienced technical staff, delivering a consistent service across North & Mid Wales and involved in NRWs emergency Response to flooding as a CAT 1 Responder.
Qualifications and Skills
· Educated to degree level in a science or engineering discipline
· Member of appropriate professional body (e.g. CIWEM or ICE) and working towards becoming chartered in the near future
· Excellent communication and analytical skills.
· Understanding of flood risk mechanisms/sources of flooding and fluvial hydrology.
· Strong and effective self-management and organisational skills.
· Good knowledge and experience of GIS systems and data management.
· Good report writing skills
· Must have a full UK driving license.
For more information, please click Apply for job