· Location: Flexible within any NRW office
· Grade & Salary: 7 - £36,867
· Post Number: 201477
· Contract Type: Permanent
· Work Pattern: Full time, 37 hours
· Application Closing Date: 23 October 2019
· Interview to take place on and where: Cardiff, w/c 4th November
As a lead senior advisor in hydrogeology you’ll be expected to:
· Provide technical advice to the local planning authority on applications for new developments, including assessment of site investigation reports, risk assessments, remediation statements, remediation verification reports and groundwater protection.
· Assess permit applications which pose a risk to groundwater
· Manage groundwater resources, including assessing abstraction licence applications and their supporting hydrogeological impact assessments
· Assess hydrogeological risk assessments for landfills, and provide support on the enforcement of groundwater related permit conditions
· Advise our environment management teams on instances of pollution to land and groundwater and support enforcement action where required
· Support the management and operation of the groundwater quality and level networks across Wales.
· Work with others to protect groundwater dependent terrestrial ecosystems (wetlands)
· Develop and manage projects to improve our understanding of groundwater and land contamination issues in Wales
· Develop and provide advice on policy and guidance for compliance with EU Directives & domestic legislation.
· Advise the Welsh Government on developing legislation and guidance and provide support to relevant EU, UK and Wales Working Groups.
Qualifications and Skills
- Post graduate degree level qualification in hydrogeology or similar
- Substantial experience as a hydrogeologist within consultancy or as a regulator
- Membership of a relevant professional body, and preferably holding Chartered status
- Awareness of the relevant legislation covering water resources, water quality and land contamination
- A full UK valid driving licence.
For more information on the role, how to apply and to see the benefits Natural Resources Wales offers its employees please visit our website.