Additional Registrations

CIWEM offers the widest range of charterships and technical membership grades of any professional institute in the water and environment sector, reflecting our engagement with the widest spectrum of environmental issues.

When you become a chartered member of CIWEM, you also have the opportunity to apply for the following additional registrations, which can be done all in the same application.

Chartered Engineer (CEng)

Chartered Engineers (CEng) develop solutions to engineering problems using new or existing technologies, through innovation, creativity and change and/or they may have technical accountability for complex systems with significant levels of risk.

Incorporated Engineer (IEng)

Incorporated Engineers (IEng) maintain and manage applications of current and developing technology, and may undertake engineering design, development, manufacture, construction and operation.

Engineering Technician (EngTech)

Engineering Technicians (EngTech) apply proven techniques and procedures to the solution of practical engineering problems.

Chartered Environmentalist (CEnv)

For environmental professionals independent of discipline, chartership reflects a high level of skill and experience, setting Chartered Environmentalists (CEnv) apart from others working in their field. It enhances career prospects through establishing proven expertise, experience and commitment to professional standards.

Registered Environmental Practitioner (REnvP)

Registered Environmental Practitioner (REnvP) is a professional registration recognising the competence, skills and commitment of professionals working to enhance or protect the environment. Becoming a REnvP demonstrates that you have signed a code of professional conduct and have been judged by your peers to be working at a professional standard, consistently implementing, developing and advocating good environmental practices.

Chartered Scientist (CSci)

Chartered Scientists (CSci) represent the best professional scientists working in the UK and abroad. They demonstrate effective leadership, using their specialist knowledge and broader scientific understanding to develop and improve the application of science and technology by scoping, planning and managing multifaceted projects.

How to apply?

When you become a chartered member of CIWEM (C.WEM), providing you have the appropriate academic qualifications and experience you also have the opportunity to register for additional professional registrations, which can be done all in the same application.

Applications are made through MyCIWEM, during the application process you will asked which additional professional registrations you would like to apply for, once selected you will be asked to complete the relevant mandatory competencies for each registration. Please read the competencies for those registrations you wish to apply to make sure you meet the eligibility criteria for each registration. When you submit your application form you will need to pay a one off C.WEM application fee.

If you currently hold C.WEM and would like to apply for an additional registration you will be required to complete the appropriate mandatory competencies for the additional registrations during the online application process in MyCIWEM. You may be required to undertake a Profession Review Interview (PRI), our membership team can provide guidance, please contact or call +44(0)207 831 3110 for more information.

We’re with you every step of your application, just call +44(0)207 831 3110 or email if you have any questions about your application or which grade is right for you and someone will be delighted to help.

Apply now

Specialist in Land Condition (SiLC)

Do you wish to be recognised at the highest level as an expert in land condition, contaminated land assessment, remediation and brownfield regeneration?

CIWEM is a supporting member of the Specialist in Land Condition Register (SILC) that recognises the highest calibre of senior practitioners within the industry. Its members can also achieve Suitably Qualified Person (SQP) status under the government recognised National Quality Mark Scheme (NQMS) and are uniquely qualified to verify land condition reports associated with planning applications and other regulatory processes.

The benefits of being a SiLC include professional recognition that you are at the pinnacle of your profession. You are permitted to use it to promote your practice. As an SQP you will also be able to undertake work that non-registered people cannot.

To become a SiLC you must be Chartered and will need to undergo an exam and interview process. The exam is set by the SiLC Professional and Technical Panel (PTP) and the interview is conducted by a panel of two assessors and an observer – all of which are SiLCs. There is also a mentoring scheme (SiLC Affiliate Scheme) for those who would like support for their professional development to becoming chartered initially and then applying for SiLC in the longer term.

To find out more please visit where you can obtain details of the SiLC Affiliate Scheme, Introduction Days, the exam process, the NQMS and the role of an SQP.

Become a member

Find out more

Need help with your application?

Learn more